This made me laugh though: He spends 80 percent of his time at his studio overlooking the Rhine River not painting. Instead he reads novels while listening to loud music as a way of absorbing the music's energy.
If I did that at my (non-artist) job I would be without that job pretty darn quick. But maybe that would allow me to out do him and spend 90% of my time listening to louder music, reading porn mags, and not painting. The other 10% might, might be spent letting a dog piss on blank canvas or something like that. At most. (I kid)